Saturday, January 8, 2011

Food for thought

Yesterday afternoon my husband and I visited a new cafe in downtown Kitchener called Pyrus. The place rocked! It was decorated with thrift store cast offs such as the typical plaid couch with wooden arms that is seen in so many cottages or grandparents basements. All the tables were mismatched, and there were bookshelves with books and board games. The food was all vegan, organic, and locally sourced and cheap! I got  a plate of coconut curry on basmati rice for $6- and it was a big plate. The place was rocking full of people I might add, which lead my husband and I to have a rather interesting debate.

The majority of the customer base were hippies or very "granola" looking. There were girls with long dreads, girls with their hair in bandanna's and basically what you would stereotype as being a "vegan". So it made my husband pose this question as to why it is that if you are a vegan you seem to end up looking or dressing this way. We thought that perhaps it had something to do with keeping it at a grass roots level or maybe had something to do with the anarchists and environmental activists that live mostly around the Seattle area. Then we also thought maybe there is also a cross over with the straight edge punk scene that could influence clothing and style since many of the customers also had manic panic hair, piercings and tattoos.

After all of this I pointed out that there are lots of vegans out there that don't want to look this way at all and feel that there is nothing out there for them, fashion wise. I think this gap is why there are now so many designers coming out with "haute couture" for vegans. But I said to me this new marketing spin is a ploy to market to rich bored housewives. I have seen non-wool winter coats selling for upwards of $600 and shoes for $300. And as much as I would love to support the entire vegan movement who has that sort of disposable income to be able to buy a $600 coat in this time of financial uncertainty?

I guess that is the entire reason I started this blog. It was because of this growing gap between what the stereotype is and  this new culture sprouting up. You have on one hand a person who would look at the hippies and say " I don't want to look like that" or you have a normal gal like me who looks at the couture and the pricey food stuffs and thinks " I can't afford that." So what's one to do especially if you are new to the movement and have no clue as to where to start? So again I reiterate; this was my purpose in beginning this blog. There are so many in-betweens in all areas be it clothing, beauty or food that is vegan and affordable in whatever expression you choose.

Having said that the debate with my husband ended with him agreeing on his own terms that too would become vegetarian. Up until this point I left it up to him and whatever meat he bought was purchased from a family member who owns a hobby farm with two cows that live well and are ethically killed to feed several families for a year. I am quite happy that he is coming to this decision and doing it on his own terms without doing it just to please me.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with that....I like my look, and it's hard to find clothes that I LOVE that are vegan or sweat shop free....And almost impossible to find both. They always come with a certain "look".

    ReplyDelete