Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year Beginings.

Happy New Year my lovelies!  In with the new and out with the old as the saying goes. This year I plan on making a vow to be more conscientious to what I put into and onto my body, how I may inadvertently pollute my mind and soul and how I can reduce my polluting the earth I call home.

I have been reading a lot about sustainability and  reducing our toxic footprint both on the earth and inside our homes and bodies. For example did you know that 89% of the ingredients used in the majority of cosmetics have never been tested for safety! There is no governing body that forces cosmetic companies to adhere to a basic standard of health and safety.  Pretty scary when you think about it especially when you know that our skin is one big sponge that absorbs 50% of everything it comes in contact with.

I'm not going to get into a big diatribe of what to avoid and all that jazz, but I will point out companies that I use that are both vegan and truly natural and free of harmful chemicals. Trust me it takes a bit of patience and finesse to find both but the long term effect will be so worth it in the end!

For now here is an awesome book on sustainable fashion and beauty; I picked this book up at chapters for $6.99 and it is loaded with colour photos of all sorts of companies. http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Style-Naturally-Savvy-Shopping-Guide-OAKES-SUMMER-RAYNE/9780811865241-item.html?ikwid=oakes+summer+rayne&ikwsec=Books

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you.

    The make up brand that I use, namely for eye-shadows is Urban Decay. All its cosmetics are vegetarian, with many being vegan too; and Barry M for nail vanishes.
    I love Urban Decays strapline 'we don't test on animals, why would anyone'.

    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that tip. I always hear the same companies being touted for being vegan and vegetarian while so many are left unknown. I want to try to bring to light some of the unknowns. Right now I am loving Stript make-up. It's 100% vegan and has no fillers or gunk in it. I will check out Urban Decay though for sure! Also check out Zoya for nail polish- they are vegan as well and free of the heavier chemicals that most polishes have in them.

    ReplyDelete